I love tackling a complex project strategically and collaboratively. I’m self-directed, creative, organized, responsible, and personable. Roles I have held include:
Human-Centered Design Lead / Project Lead / Database Architecture / Data Visualization / UX Specialist / Data Analysis / Marketing Technologist & Communications Director / Graphic Design / Collaborative Technology / Digital Humanities & Interactive Technology / Catalog & Archive Developer / CFO & Financial Director
Presentations and Invited Lectures
- “Open Minds & Open Data” Smart Cities, NYC, Panel, May 2017
- “Tech Tools for Digital Engagement” OIDP, Montreal, Workshop, June 2017
- “The Ethics of Algorithms” Ethical Tech, Thoughtworks NYC, Panel, December 2016
- “Metaphors for the Web,” Meta/Hacking The Internet, University of Pennsylvania, December 3, 2015.
- “Open Source Digital Cataloging and Archiving,” Eyebeam Center for Art and Technology, March & December 2014.
- “Disruptive Archiving,” Radical Archives Conference, NYU, April 11, 2014.
- “Out of the Archives and Into the Libraries,” Queer Internet Studies Conference, NYU, April 4, 2014.
- “Femme: Power, Vulnerability, and Revolution,” IVYQ 2013, Yale University, February 8, 2013.
- “Out of Networks & Into the Streets: Technology for Social Movement Groups,” Allied Media Conference, July 2012.
- “Web Design for Social Movements,” US Social Forum, June 2010.
- “Print Media for Social Movements: Developing $pread Magazine,” Evergreen State College, February 2009.
- “DIY MFA: Self-education strategies,” Art History Dept., University of Texas, Austin, January 2009.
Recent Clients & Projects
- Company website, 2015: mobile-optimized WordPress site, full UX and site re-architecture, content writing, logo development [external link]
- Warren Lasch Conservation Center,2014-2016: Data migration and research catalog architecture and development for an academic research lab
- Union for Democratic Communications, 2014, 2016: UX, CRM & Database Imports and Integration, Webform & Payment, Communications for an academic conference
- ArtSpan, 2014-2015: Data Mapping, Project Management for an arts organization
Past Projects & Clients
CRM, Catalog, and Database development with Openflows:
- Urban League of Rochester (CRM)
- Digital Collections at John Jay College (Ditigal Catalog)
- Teachers Unite (CRM, Database site)
- Isaac Walton League of America (Database site)
Interference Archive — Community political art archive, 2012-2014
The Fist is Still Raised — Research project on political art, 2012-2014
Websites, Web & Print Design
Femme Conference — community conference, 2009-2012
Center for Collaborative Communication — nonprofit, 2011-2013
Department of Transformation — community art organization, 2010-2011
Proficient in creating and leading software, media and web projects: planning, deployment, design and production; web coding, programming and design; database architecture; documentation; print design; audio/video production; archiving/data management; marketing, PR, promotion; project management; organizational communications; data security. GLAM/data curator in digital archives. Managing teams and leading people.
Software and technical skills: Shell/Terminal; MySQL; Python; Drupal; WordPress; HTML/CSS, PHP; Git, SVN; Collective Access, Omeka; Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Dreamweaver; GIMP; Microsoft Office; Final Cut, iMovie, Audacity; Google Docs, Basecamp; Wikis; CiviCRM; Social Media & Email tech.
Manager of Engagement Technology, Participatory Budgeting Project. 2016-present.
My current position working with the Participatory Budgeting Project allows me to focus on human-centered design to put civic technology into action in the most practical of ways: providing digital support to people deciding how to spend public money to address needs in their neighborhoods.
Technologist [Technical Lead, Full-Stack Development, Project Management, Data Architect, Financial Officer] Openflows, Inc. 2013-2016
- Technical lead on multi-phase client projects: ULR CRM [+project management, data architect], WLCC database [+data architect, database programmer], ArtSpan website [+project management, information architecture].
- Programmed or customized PHP, SQL, HTML/CSS, taxonomies, .conf files for Drupal, CollectiveAccess, CiviCRM, WordPress projects.
- Financial management of small business with $250,000 annual budget; Increased average billing by 10%.
- Innovated and implemented workflow systems for time tracking, invoicing, and project management.
Digital Archive Data Architect, Developer, Project Manager, Interference Archive, 2012-2014
- Technical lead in developing a digital image cataloging system using the OSS Collective Access.
- Implement metadata standards; edit HTML and PHP; work within a Linux server, SQL database, and command-line; create wiki and how-to documentation. Project manage.
Director of Communications, Center for Collaborative Communication, 2011-2013
- Developed web content, marketing, communications, event planning for Organizational Development firm.
- Webmaster/analytics, editorial calendar, social media, created/delivered newsletter, web and print event PR; implemented rebranding using a style guide.
- Developed database and strategy to increase community engagement; managed volunteers/interns.
Marketing Technologist, Web Developer, Graphic Designer, Femmetech, 2006-2015
- Information architecture, marketing technology development
- Develop, design and deliver professional branding, promotion strategy and design, and community engagement for arts, social, and cultural events and organizations including:
- Build websites, blogs; utilizing social networking and SEO; create print materials; develop internal communication structures & archives
- Designed, sourced images, and produced a glossy quarterly magazine using InDesign for 3 years
- Led workshops: US Social Forum, Allied Media Conference, Women Action & the Media
- Major projects: Totally Brilliant Software, 2015. Work Collaboratively, 2013-2015; Media Director, Femme Conference, 2009-2012; Art Director, $pread Magazine 2006-2009
Production Artist, Electronic Design & Prepress Department, McGraw-Hill, 2007-2009
Produced highly detailed InDesign mechanicals, best practice guide for textbook production using style guide
Kept major client by leading a time-sensitive cataloging and repurposing of trade book covers.
Education, Certifications & Awards
M.A., CUNY Graduate Center – New York, NY. Master of Arts, American Studies. June 2013.
Certificate in Interactive Technology and Pedagogy, August 2013.
Certification in Data Curation, Digital Humanities Winter Institute, MITH University of Maryland, Jan 2013.
H.B.A., University of Toronto – Toronto, ON. Honours Bachelor of Arts: English, Philosophy, Semiotics. June 2002.
Honors and Awards – MALS Thesis Award, 2013; Mellon-Sawyer Fellow, CUNY Graduate Center, 2012; Performance Award: Leadership, McGraw-Hill, 2008.
Ride Free Fearless Money, 2015-2016: Financial self-determination workshops and coaching
QUILTBAG++, 2014-2015: LGBTQ Technology networking group
Producer & Curator, NYC / USA / Canada, 2004-2015
Curate, book, promote and coordinate logistics and volunteers for multi-person annual tour; financial management [fundraising, budget and payment]; coordinate venues, artists, tech; produce promotions [website, videos, press kits and handbills, press releases]; coordinate and archive documentation. Recent projects include:
- 2010-2016: Co-director of an art troupe producing an annual national tour, monthly art salon, anthology; Curator, Opentoe Peepshow; Co-producer, Glitter Roadshow;
- 2015, Co-editor Glitter & Grit Anthology, Lambda Literary Award Nominee
- 2015, Curator, Spark to a Flame, Dixon Place