I partner with people, organizations, innovation teams, and cities to leverage research and human-centered design to solve problems.
I create engaging and collaborative interventions in economics, technology, and cultural narratives.
Human-Centered Design Lead / Project Lead / System Architect / Data Visualization / UX Research / Data Analysis / Marketing Technologist & Communications Director / Graphic Design / Collaborative Technology / Digital Humanities & Interactive Technology / Catalog & Archive Developer
Presentations and Invited Lectures
- “From Publishing City Data to Solving Problems” SXSW panel, Mar 2018
“Hacking Capitalism: Divesting and Ethical Money” workshop, multiple iterations 2017-18, incl. Allied Media Conference
- “Tech Tools for Digital Engagement”, International Observatory on Participatory Democracy Conference, Montreal, Workshop, June 2017
- “Open Minds & Open Data” Smart Cities, NYC, Panel, May 2017
- “The Ethics of Algorithms” Ethical Tech, Thoughtworks NYC, Panel, December 2016
- “Metaphors for the Web,” Meta/Hacking The Internet, University of Pennsylvania, December 3, 2015.
- “Open Source Digital Cataloging and Archiving,” Eyebeam Center for Art and Technology, March & December 2014.
- “Disruptive Archiving,” Radical Archives Conference, NYU, April 11, 2014.
- “Out of the Archives and Into the Libraries,” Queer Internet Studies Conference, NYU, April 4, 2014.
- “Femme: Power, Vulnerability, and Revolution,” IVYQ 2013, Yale University, February 8, 2013.
- “Out of Networks & Into the Streets: Technology for Social Movement Groups,” Allied Media Conference, July 2012.
- “Web Design for Social Movements,” US Social Forum, June 2010.
- “Print Media for Social Movements: Developing $pread Magazine,” Evergreen State College, February 2009.
- “DIY MFA: Self-education strategies,” Art History Dept., University of Texas, Austin, January 2009.
Recent Clients & Projects
Past Clients & Projects
CRM, Catalog, and Website development:
- Totally Brilliant, UX re-architecture, content writing, and development of a mobile-optimized HTML5 site for a music gear database company, 2015 – [external link]
- Work Collaboratively, Inc., WordPress site development and communications consulting for a coaching business, 2013 – 2016 [external link]
- Heather Acs — WordPress site architecture, content mapping for a solo artist, 2015 [external link]
- Heels on Wheels, Web & Print Design, Screenprints — WordPress site development, print design, book design for an arts troupe, 2010-2015 [external link]
- CRMS: Urban League of Rochester (CRM), Teachers Unite (CRM, Database site)
- Isaac Walton League of America (Database site)
- Openflows company website, 2015: mobile-optimized WordPress site, full UX and site re-architecture, content writing, logo development [external link]
- Warren Lasch Conservation Center,2014-2016: Data migration and research catalog architecture and development for an academic research lab
- Union for Democratic Communications, 2014, 2016: UX, CRM & Database Imports and Integration, Webform & Payment, Communications for an academic conference
- ArtSpan, 2014-2015: Data Mapping, Project Management for an arts organization
Interference Archive — Community political art archive, 2012-2014
Digital Collections at John Jay College, Digital Catalog, 2013 – 2014
The Fist is Still Raised — Research project on political art, 2012-2014
Websites, Web & Print Design
Femme Conference — community conference, 2009-2012
Center for Collaborative Communication — nonprofit, 2011-2013
Department of Transformation — community art organization, 2010-2011
Proficient in creating and leading software, media and web projects: planning, deployment, design and production; web coding, programming and design; database architecture; documentation; print design; audio/video production; archiving/data management; marketing, PR, promotion; project management; organizational communications; data security. GLAM/data curator in digital archives. Managing teams and leading people.
Software and technical skills: Shell/Terminal; MySQL; Python; Drupal; WordPress; HTML/CSS, PHP; Git, SVN; Collective Access, Omeka; Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Dreamweaver; GIMP; Microsoft Office; Final Cut, iMovie, Audacity; Google Docs, Basecamp; Wikis; CiviCRM; Social Media & Email tech.
Facilitator & Systems Consultant
NYC Stronger Communities Digital security curriculum editor and training facilitator; with Mozilla, NYC Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs, Research Action Design, 2017-2018.
Financial workflow service redesign with Allied Media Project. Design/lead UX research, workshops, create content, 2018-2019.
Design Thinking Facilitator and Strategist
ConsenSys, 2018 – present
- As part of an internal innovation team within a VC firm, design and test programs, workshops, services, and decision methods to increase the international blockchain ecosystem’s use of user need validation, research, and human-centered design
- Partner with startups and enterprise projects by developing product strategy and custom design thinking workshops
- Design thinking workshop project with City of Dubai partner lead to finalization and signoff on a contract
Director of Data & Technology
Participatory Budgeting Project, 2016-2018
My position working with the Participatory Budgeting Project allowed me to focus on human-centered design to put civic technology into action in the most practical of ways: providing digital support to people deciding how to spend public money to address needs in their neighborhoods.
- As lead on the Participation Lab, responsible for design and implementation of a portfolio of digital solutions to support U.S. municipal civic engagement around participatory budgeting (a process by which community members spend public money) for distributed staff and city stakeholders in New York City, Greensboro, Chicago, Oakland, Phoenix
- Champion user-centered design and iterative methods: lead to a 150% funded NYC award-winning open data project
- Research, define and measure success: Collect and analyze data and design metrics to develop reports and media
- Supervise a team and manage budget across complex work areas to create strategic, equity-focused tech solutions
Openflows, Inc. 2013-2016
- Technical lead on multi-phase client projects: ULR CRM [+project management, data architect], WLCC database [+data architect, database programmer], ArtSpan website [+project management, information architecture].
- Programmed or customized PHP, SQL, HTML/CSS, taxonomies, .conf files for Drupal, CollectiveAccess, CiviCRM, WordPress projects.
- Financial management of small business with $250,000 annual budget; Increased average billing by 10%.
- Innovated and implemented workflow systems for time tracking, invoicing, and project management.
Digital Archive Consultant: Data Architecture, Development
Interference Archive, 2012-2014
- Technical lead in developing a digital image cataloging system using the OSS Collective Access.
- Implement metadata standards; edit HTML and PHP; work within a Linux server, SQL database, and command-line; create wiki and how-to documentation. Project manage.
Director of Communications
Center for Collaborative Communication, 2011-2013
- Developed web content, marketing, communications, event planning for Organizational Development firm.
- Webmaster/analytics, editorial calendar, social media, created/delivered newsletter, web and print event PR; implemented rebranding using a style guide.
- Developed database and strategy to increase community engagement; managed volunteers/interns.
Marketing Technologist, Web Developer, Graphic Designer
- Information architecture, marketing technology development
- Develop, design and deliver professional branding, promotion strategy and design, and community engagement for arts, social, and cultural events and organizations including:
- Build websites, blogs; utilizing social networking and SEO; create print materials; develop internal communication structures & archives
- Designed, sourced images, and produced a glossy quarterly magazine using InDesign for 3 years
- Led workshops: US Social Forum, Allied Media Conference, Women Action & the Media
- Major projects: Totally Brilliant Software, 2015. Work Collaboratively, 2013-2015; Media Director, Femme Conference, 2009-2012; Art Director, $pread Magazine 2006-2009
Production Artist, Electronic Design & Prepress Department, McGraw-Hill, 2007-2009
Performance Award: Leadership, McGraw-Hill, 2008.
Produced highly detailed InDesign mechanicals and best practice guides for textbook production, using style guide and detailed templates.
On team tasked with retaining major client; contributed by leading a time-sensitive cataloging and repurposing of trade book covers.
Education, Certifications & Awards
M.A., CUNY Graduate Center – New York, NY. Master of Arts, American Studies. June 2013.
MALS Thesis Award, 2013; Mellon-Sawyer Fellow. Certificate in Interactive Technology and Pedagogy, August 2013.
H.B.A., University of Toronto – Toronto, ON. Honours Bachelor of Arts: English, Philosophy, Semiotics. June 2002.
Accredited Asset Management Specialist, College of Financial Planning In progress, 2019
Certified ScrumMaster, Knowledge 21 November 2017
Managing to Change the World, The Management Center November 2017
Certification in Data Curation, Digital Humanities Winter Institute, MITH University of Maryland, Jan 2013.
Ride Free Fearless Money, 2015-2016: Financial self-determination workshops and coaching
QUILTBAG++, 2014-2015: LGBTQ Technology networking group
Producer & Curator, NYC / USA / Canada, 2004-2015
Curate, book, promote and coordinate logistics and volunteers for multi-person annual tour; financial management [fundraising, budget and payment]; coordinate venues, artists, tech; produce promotions [website, videos, press kits and handbills, press releases]; coordinate and archive documentation. Recent projects include:
- 2010-2016: Co-director of an art troupe producing an annual national tour, monthly art salon, anthology; Curator, Opentoe Peepshow; Co-producer, Glitter Roadshow;
- 2015, Co-editor Glitter & Grit Anthology, Lambda Literary Award Nominee
- 2015, Curator, Spark to a Flame, Dixon Place